Gifts of Appreciated Securities

Giving appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares held more than one year can provide an immediate benefit to the University of Minnesota Morris and may be more tax efficient than giving cash.

By making a gift to the University using appreciated securities held for more than one year, donors may receive a double tax benefit. They avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation of the donated asset, and may claim an immediate deduction for the current fair market value of the property—up to 30 percent of adjusted gross income.

Any unclaimed portion of the deduction may be carried forward for up to five additional years, subject to the same annual limit. Because the donated property is appreciated, the benefit of the gift to the University may well be considerably greater than its original cost to the donor.

Instructions for making gifts of appreciated securities

Talk to your broker about the securities you'd like to give to the University of Minnesota Morris or discuss the value of the securities you'd like to donate. Work with your broker to identify what securities or set of securities that approximates that value.

  1. Provide to your broker the following information on transferring securities electronically to UMN Morris's broker.
    • Broker name: RBC Wealth Management
      Account registration: University of Minnesota Foundation
      Account number: 30875055
      DTC number: 0235
    • Account contact: Mike Thorn 952-476-3741
  2. Alert UMN Morris of your plans to transfer securities by emailing [email protected]. Provide the following information:
    • Your name and address
    • The stock or other securities you plan to transfer and the number of shares
    • The approximate value of this gift
    • The fund(s) into which you'd like this gift deposited. If you don't know the fund number(s), let us know the area at the University you seek to support.


Information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For information on how any gift may affect your tax situation, please consult with your own professional advisor.

Contact us

For additional questions about transferring securities, please contact Senior Director of Advancement Susan Schmidgall at 320-589-6160 or [email protected].